Annual American Short Story Contest
The Grey Wolfe Publishing motto is “Ni bona na coroin”, which means “Neither crown nor collar”; and it symbolizes our commitment to the writers who come to us. We will treat writers as equals, neither ruling over them, nor being subservient to them, as they fulfill their publishing dreams. We also believe that this sentiment embodies the True American Spirit. We are a people who place emphasis on our commonalities rather than our differences, and we work together as equals to solve problems, entertain, and research new avenues of discovery.
To celebrate this spirit of equality that we all share, Grey Wolfe Publishing is hosting an American Short Story Contest. A portion of the proceeds will go to support the work of The Intrepid Fallen Heros Fund, which serves United States military personnel wounded or injured in service to our nation, and their families.
The guidelines are few, but specific:
- Entries must be original, written in English and finalized to the best of the writer’s ability. Entries will be accepted as they are submitted.
- Each story may not exceed 10,000 words. BE SURE OF YOUR WORD COUNT! Entries exceeding the word count limit will be disqualified.
- Each story must include either an American setting or an American theme. Characters, plot, time and genre are the writer’s choice.
- This contest is open to American writers, 15 years of age and older.
- This is a short story contest. Essays and Poetry will not be considered if submitted.
- The Submission Deadline is March 17, every year for an anticipated anthology release date of July 4, every year.
- Each short story must be electronically submitted in either MS Word or RTF format, double-spaced to Contest@GreyWolfePublishing.com and include “USA Short Story” in the subject line. Include all contact information with your submission.
- Simultaneous submissions and pre-publications (as long as you can prove copyright ownership, if requested) are permitted. Grey Wolfe Publishing retains one-time publication rights in both print and Kindle format; and rights to publish the top three winners’ stories on our website.
- Writers are permitted to enter as often as they like, but each piece must be submitted separately.
- There is a $15 entry fee for each piece submitted. Checks are accepted to PO Box 1088 Birmingham, MI 48009 or you may pay entry fees using a credit or debit card through the secure PayPal portal on this page. All entry fees are non-refundable.
- The decision of the Grey Wolfe Contest judges are final.
- Winners will be announced on our website and prizes will be awarded on July 4, every year.
A Free Grey Wolfe Publishing Package (valued at $1,000), $250 cash, and one free copy of the anthology.
A 50% Discount on A Grey Wolfe Publishing Package (valued at $500), $150 cash, and one free copy of the anthology.
A 25% Discount on A Grey Wolfe Publishing Package (valued at $250), $50 cash, and one free copy of the anthology.
Publication in our American Short Story Annual Anthology; Ni Bona Na Coroin
***Prizes may not be combined with any other offer, nor applied to agreements already signed with Grey Wolfe Publishing. We must have at least ten entries to award a prize***